New Delhi (Times Of Ocean)- India on Tuesday condemned the massacre of civilians in the Ukrainian city of Bucha and called for an independent investigation, having earlier declined to explicitly criticize Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
— PR/Amb T S Tirumurti (@ambtstirumurti) April 5, 2022
In the town of Bucha, where Ukraine accuses Russian troops of killing civilians, the human rights ombudswoman said on Tuesday that 150 to 300 bodies may be in a mass grave by a church. Ukraine’s Bucha
Russia, however, has denied targeting civilians in Ukraine, calling the images of the dead in Bucha a “monstrous forgery” staged by the West to discredit it.
“Recent reports of civilian killings in Bucha are deeply disturbing,” T.S. Tirumurti, India’s permanent representative to the United Nations, told a meeting of the Security Council.
“We unequivocally condemn these killings and support the call for an independent investigation.” Ukraine’s Bucha
Tirumurti made his remarks shortly after U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with India’s foreign minister, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar. Since the Feb 24 invasion, the United States has repeatedly urged India to condemn Russia’s aggression. Ukrainian city
New Delhi heavily relies on Russian military hardware. In a tricky attempt to balance its ties with Moscow and the West, Delhi has repeatedly called for an end to violence in Ukraine, but has abstained from various UN resolutions on the war.
Indian foreign minister hosted Russian foreign minister in New Delhi last week during which they discussed maintaining trade ties. India is currently a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.